What is Public Interest Disclosure (PID)? How can a PID be made? Can a PID be made to the Ombudsman? Who are the appropriate authorities to whom a PID can be made? What if I do not know who to make a PID to? Am I protected if I make a PID? Each of these questions is answered below. 

Meaning of PID

A PID is defined under section 3 of the pdf Whistleblowers Protection Act 2018 (751 KB) to mean a disclosure of information that, if true, would tend to show that an individual or body has engaged, is engaging, or intends to engage, in conduct that constitutes a corruption offence or maladministration or misconduct in office. In short, PID is a disclosure or report about suspected wrongdoing by a person or an office.

How to make a PID

A PID can be made in writing (letter, memorandum, email), through telephone or in person. This can be done directly to the appropriate authority outlined below or through an Integrity Officer as defined under section of the pdf Anti Corruption Act 2018 (1.86 MB)

PIDs about Maladministration can be made to the Ombudsman

Reports or complaints about maladministration are to be reported to the Ombudsman (refer to our contact details). Maladministration refers to an action or decision of a public officer or public body that has resulted in injustice to a person. This could either be a failure to comply with the law or principles of good administration. 

Who are the other appropriate authorities to whom a PID can be made?

The other two appropriate authorities or institution are listed in the left column in the table below and the nature of the PID or conduct that can be reported to each of them are specified in the right column corresponding to each authority. 

Solomon Islands Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC)
Address: (the office is yet to be physically established by the time of providing this information)
Corruption offence (as defined under section 3 of the Anti-Corruption Act 2018. Example: bribery or abuse of public office)
Leadership Code Commission (LCC)
Leadership Code Commission
P.O Box 552
Telephone: 24860 or 21063 (direct line)
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 
Location: Isaac Qoloni House, Hibiscus Avenue, 
Misconduct in office by leaders including public officers (as defined under Part VIII of the Constitution, and the Leadership Code (Further Provisions) Act 1999)

What if I do not know who to make a PID to?

If you are not sure about whether you should made a PID to the Ombudsman, ICAC or LCC, you can disclose or report to any one of the authorities listed in the left column below about the related conduct listed in the right column:

The Police and Correctional Service Commission or the Commissioner of Police or the Commissioner of Correctional Service
Disclosure relating to the conduct of a police officer or a correctional service officer
The Auditor-General
Disclosure relating to the use of public money
The Chief Justice
Disclosure relating to the conduct of a Judge, Magistrate, the President, Vice-President or a member of a customary land appeal court, or the President, Vice-President or a Justice of a local court
The Speaker of Parliament 
Disclosure relating to the conduct of a member of Parliament
The Electoral Commission
Disclosure relating to an election
The Political Parties Commission
Disclosure relating to the conduct of a political party
The Minister responsible for the local authority
Disclosure relating to the conduct of an officer of a local authority or a local authority
The Public Service Commission
Disclosure otherwise relating to a public officer

Am I protected if I make a PID?

Yes. The Whistleblowers Act 2018 provides the following legal protection for a person who, in good faith, makes a disclosure (or intends to report) what he or she suspects as a corruption offence, maladministration, or misconduct in office:

  • Protection of the identity of the person making a PID from unlawful disclosure;
  • Prosecution of someone who victimises you. It is an offence punishable with a maximum fine of $100,000.00 or 10 years imprisonment or both, if someone causes or threatens to cause you harm (in any form) for making (or intending to make) a PID. 
  • The Court can also order the person who victimises or threatens you from making a PID to pay compensation to you in addition to the above fine or imprisonment.